Litigation involving the government presents a unique set of challenges – often with stakes that reach far beyond the case at hand. The attorneys in Barnes & Thornburg’s Government Litigation group have experience representing government agencies at virtually all levels, as well as private clients litigating against the government, in complex negotiations, investigations, mediations, administrative proceedings and federal and state litigation.
We have experience with the policy, public record and sovereignty issues that are not present in private litigation. Our attorneys are experienced in assisting with all types of representation, including:
- Constitutional or statutory challenges to federal, state or local laws and regulations (including civil rights, voting rights, First Amendment and separation of powers issues)
- Federal, state and local permits, licenses and entitlements
- Municipal finance disputes and mandate litigation
- Administrative and regulatory litigation
- Regulatory takings and condemnations
- Administrative investigations
- Civil fraud litigation (procurement fraud, competitor proprietary data issues)
- Zoning and land use
- Municipal utilities
- Annexations, mergers and municipal governance issues
Our attorneys have broad experience in trial and appellate courts and before federal, state and local administrative and regulatory agencies and represent clients in:
- Government contract disputes (bid protests, contractor/subcontractor claims, terminations and defaults, alternative dispute resolution, regulatory and court representations and appeals)
- MBE and WBE certification and compliance
- Ethics and compliance issues (including hiring, gifts/gratuities, false certifications, anti-kickback and public corruption)
- Government and organizational conflicts of interest
- Open records and public disclosure issues
- Audit obligations
- Public construction projects
- Public infrastructure
- Economic development and energy savings requirements
- Market examinations of insurance and financial institutions
We can tap in to extensive firm resources in environmental law, real estate, utilities, finance insolvency and restructuring, tax, health, antitrust, securities, government services and white collar crime to resolve matters effectively.
Litigation can have a lasting impact in light of the power that regulatory agencies have over businesses. Clients include local, state and federal government officials, government agencies, municipalities, school districts, public infrastructure development entities and private clients dealing with regulatory and other government issues.
Government litigation often operates on multiple fronts simultaneously in politically sensitive waters. We are well-positioned to assist clients in managing complex parallel proceedings and investigations.