Successful healthcare organizations and providers want lawyers who deliver calm guidance in the midst of the healthcare industry storm. Our attorneys understand the unique commercial and regulatory environment in which healthcare organizations operate. We listen carefully to the goals of our clients and recommend practical, creative and informed solutions.
These days, thriving healthcare organizations combine science, technology and the healing arts with business acumen. Meeting the legal needs of healthcare clients also takes an integrated approach. Barnes & Thornburg brings together the right team members with experience in business, finance, regulatory compliance, mergers and acquisitions, labor and employment, litigation, technology, intellectual property, employee benefits, tax and insurance.
Our attorneys use their problem-solving and consensus-building skills to advise healthcare providers on complex regulatory issues related to Medicare and Medicaid compliance, adherence to state and federal licensure regulations, and the impact of the Affordable Care Act. An ounce of prevention truly equals a pound of cure when it comes to establishing compliance programs for the numerous laws and regulations governing healthcare providers. When you or your organization face government scrutiny, we have extensive experience in conducting internal investigations, defending and responding to government and payer audits, addressing antitrust matters, and defending whistleblower qui tam actions and state and federal false claims investigations.
Barnes & Thornburg represents all types of providers:
- Physician clinics and specialty groups
- Physicians and other licensed professionals
- Joint ventures between hospitals and physicians
- Retail healthcare clinics
- Ambulatory surgical centers
- Long-term care facilities
- Federally qualified health centers
- Drug and device manufacturers
- Wholesale drug distributors
- Consumer Operated and Oriented Plans
- Durable medical equipment suppliers
As healthcare delivery models evolve to meet the challenges of the future, we counsel clients on a wide range of business alignment strategies, including formation of accountable care organizations, joint ventures, service integration models, professional service agreements, physician-hospital collaborative projects and managed care organizations.
We represent clients doing business in every state in areas such as:
- Fraud and abuse
- Anti-kickback Statute
- False Claims Act
- Stark Law
- HIPAA and Health Information Technology for Economic and Clinical Health (HITECH) Act compliance and breach investigations
- Professional licensure and administrative hearings
- Certificate of Need
- Managed care organizations
- Governance issues
- Physician employment and alignment strategies
- State regulatory and licensing issues
- Qui Tam and white collar crime defense
- Medical staff representation
- Strategic advice for hospitals, physicians and organizations
- Physician credentialing and peer review
- Medicare and Medicaid reimbursement compliance
- Formation of accountable care organizations
- Non-profit and tax exempt organizations advice and governance issues
- State and federal agency surveys and investigations
- Clinical research
- Electronic health records
The Advisory Board Company
Barnes & Thornburg is an active member of The Advisory Board Company. The Advisory Board Company is the leading provider of comprehensive performance improvement services to the health care and education sectors - including operational best practices and insights, business intelligence and analytic tools, management training, unbiased technology evaluation, and consulting support.