Barnes & Thornburg LLP’s intellectual property attorneys work with clients to enforce and protect their intellectual property rights domestically and abroad. The Intellectual Property Department, with more than 90 attorneys and professionals, including 50 registered patent attorneys and agents, is one of the largest intellectual property groups found in a full-service law firm.
We understand the law and the science behind complex inventions, medical devices, agricultural products and pharmaceuticals. We work with clients to identify the best ways to protect their products and processes – and to identify their business objectives.
Clients turn to us to manage their domestic and international portfolios. Our attorneys from coast to coast represent entrepreneurs, startups, established companies and multinational corporations in a wide variety of industries including medical devices, plastics and packaging, Internet and computer technologies, pharmaceuticals, automotive and aviation. Our diverse group of intellectual property attorneys and patent agents possess technological backgrounds in the electrical, mechanical and chemical fields.
Working with a network of foreign attorneys, we represent clients in the full spectrum of intellectual property matters in the U.S. and abroad, including:
- U.S. and foreign patent and trademark prosecution
- Copyright prosecution
- Patent, trademark and copyright litigation
- Patent Trial and Appeal Board actions including post-grant review, inter partes review (IPR), derivation proceedings and covered business method reviews
- Trademark oppositions and cancellations
- Antitrust counseling and litigation
- Franchise agreements
- Transactions, including patent, trade secret, technology and know-how licensing and IP asset due diligence
- Product and trademark clearance, including freedom-to-operate opinions, non-infringement opinions and invalidity opinions
- Advertising and marketing, including right-of-publicity issues, National Advertising Division (NAD) proceedings and social media marketing
- Internet and e-commerce
- International trade matters, including matters before the United States International Trade Commission, Section 337 investigations and customs matters
Our Intellectual Property Department and attorneys are nationally recognized:
- Barnes & Thornburg received a national Tier 1 ranking for Patent Law and for Intellectual Property Litigation from U.S. News-Best Lawyers' 2017 "Best Law Firms" survey
- Nationally ranked for trademark prosecution and patent contentious work from Managing Intellectual Property’s IP Stars 2016
- Listed as a Top 100 Patent Firm (Juristat 2017)
- Seven IP attorneys were named in the World Trademark Review 1000, 2016
- 16 IP attorneys were selected for inclusion in Super Lawyers 2016